It’s no Kenyan’s dream to get sick, but sometimes health issues become inevitable, and you just have to mitigate the impact they could have on you, your family, and your financial life. To do that, your best bet is to get medical insurance—not just any kind, but top-quality insurance—which will help settle the costs that come with your health treatment.
Hence, we have decided to make it easier for you by providing you with the best medical insurance in Kenya. This will help you make an informed decision when choosing a health insurance policy and also ensure that you have access to the care you need when you need it.
Moving forward, let’s get to understand the importance of medical insurance to Kenyan citizens.
The Importance of Medical Insurance for Kenyans
The following are the benefits of health insurance for Kenyan citizens:
- Access to a wider range of healthcare services
- Help in managing the high costs of medical care
- Financial protection in case of job loss or income insecurity
- Help in managing chronic and/or life-threatening diseases
- Increased peace of mind.
Access to a Wider Range of Healthcare Services
This is one of the biggest benefits of medical insurance for Kenyans. Medical insurance provides access to a wider range of healthcare services than what is available through the usual public healthcare system.
This can be very important for people with complex or chronic health conditions who need specialized care.
Help in Managing the High Costs of Medical Care
Another key benefit of medical insurance for Kenyans is that it can help manage the high costs of medical care.
In Kenya, the average cost of medical care is $41 (3,432 Kshs), which is often out of reach for many people, but having a health insurance plan can help offset these costs and make it easier for you to afford treatments.
Those who have low income and limited savings and who may find it difficult to make out-of-pocket payments for medical care can take advantage of insurance.
Financial Protection in Case of Job Loss or Income Insecurity
In a situation where you lose your job or experience a drop in income, you may no longer be able to afford to pay for medical care out of pocket.
But when you have insurance, it can help to ensure that you still have access to care, even in your difficult financial circumstances.
Help in Managing Chronic and/or Life-Threatening Diseases
Another key benefit of medical insurance for Kenyans is that it can provide much-needed support in managing chronic and/or life-threatening diseases.
Many Kenyans suffer from chronic conditions like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease, and these conditions can be expensive to treat.
Having medical insurance can help offset these costs and provide access to the care needed to manage these conditions effectively.
Increased Peace of Mind
Well, this is a less tangible but equally important benefit of medical insurance, especially for Kenyans.
Knowing that you and your family have access to quality healthcare if you need it gives you a sense of security and well-being.
This can be especially important in times of crisis, such as during a pandemic or other public health emergency. It helps you feel more in control of your life and puts you in a better position to cope with stress and uncertainty.
Criteria for the Selection of the Best Medical Insurance in Kenya
Below are the criteria we used in selecting Kenya’s best medical insurance:
- Customer Service.
List of the Best Medical Insurance in Kenya
The following are Kenya’s best medical insurance providers:
- AAR Healthcare
- Jubilee Health Insurance
- Britam Health Insurance
- APA Health Insurance
- Resolution Health Insurance
- Liberty Health Insurance
- UAP Old Mutual Health
- CIC Health Insurance
- Allianz Insurance
- AXA Mansard Health Insurance
- Resolution Insurance
- AIG Health Insurance
- GA Health Insurance
- VUMI Health Insurance
- Sanlam Health Insurance.
Details on Kenya’s Best Medical Insurance Providers
1. AAR Healthcare
- Year Founded: 1984
- It has a large network of hospitals and clinics
- There are a variety of products and plans you can choose from
- It has good customer service.
- Its premiums may be higher than those of some of its competitors
- Some of its customers have reported delays in processing their claims
- Coverage may be limited outside of Kenya.
Being one of the best and leading private medical insurance providers in Kenya, this firm offers a wide range of products.
AAR Healthcare has a large network of hospitals and clinics across the country, making it convenient for customers to access care swiftly.
2. Jubilee Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1937
- You have the flexibility to choose the level of coverage you need
- There are large networks of hospitals and clinics
- Good customer service.
- Not all services are covered
- Coverage may be limited outside of Kenya
- Customer service may be unavailable at times.
This medical insurance provider offers a range of products and services for individuals, families, and businesses.
Jubilee Health Insurance has a network of over 2,000 hospitals and clinics across Kenya, and it allows you to choose the level of coverage that best suits your needs.
3. Britam Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1965
- Affordable premiums
- An extensive network of healthcare providers
- A wide range of products and services
- Good financial rating.
- Slow claims processing
- Poor customer service
- Not all services are covered.
It offers individual, family, and group health insurance plans, as well as a range of other products, including life insurance and savings plans.
Britam Health Insurance is known for its affordable premiums and extensive network of healthcare providers.
4. APA Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1977
- Their plans are very simple and transparent
- Very affordable premiums
- Easy-to-understand coverage
- Customer-focused approach.
- Limited network of healthcare providers
- May not have as many product options as some other companies.
This is a relatively new player in the Kenyan medical insurance market, but it has already established itself as a reputable provider.
APA Health Insurance offers quality products and services to individuals, families, and businesses.
One of its major focuses is simplicity and transparency, making it easy for customers to understand their coverage.
5. Resolution Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 2002
- Their customer service is okay
- There are various comprehensive coverage options for you
- They mainly focus on quality care.
- They have a limited product range
- May not be as well-known as some competitors
- Some customers have reported issues with premium increases.
Resolution Health Insurance offers both individual and group health insurance plans, and it has a strong focus on providing quality customer service.
One of the advantages of Resolution Health Insurance is its fast claim processing. However, Resolution Health Insurance may not have as wide a range of products as some other companies.
6. Liberty Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1996
- Liberty Health Insurance is financially stable and secured
- It has a wide range of products and services
- This insurer has good customer service.
- Some of their customers have reported issues with claim processing
- Their premiums may be higher than those of some other providers
- Products and services may not be available in all areas of Kenya.
This is one of Kenya’s foremost health insurance providers that offers services to both individuals and businesses, with numerous plans that you can choose from.
It is one of the most financially stable health insurance providers in Kenya. This means you can be confident that this firm has the financial strength to pay out your claims when needed.
7. UAP Old Mutual Health
- Year Founded: 1945
- Strong financial backing
- Wide range of products and services
- Access to a large network of providers.
- Premiums may be higher than those of some other providers
- May not be as well-known as some other providers.
UAP Old Mutual Health is a joint venture between UAP Insurance and Old Mutual, two of the largest financial services providers in Africa.
They offer a range of medical insurance products, which include individual health insurance, family health insurance, and group health insurance.
The main advantage of UAP Old Mutual Health is the size and strength of its parent companies, which gives it a strong financial foundation.
8. CIC Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1968
- It’s very affordable
- Extensive network of providers
- Good customer service (for most customers).
- Claims processing can be slow
- Customer service can be inconsistent.
CIC Health Insurance is one of the oldest and largest medical insurance providers in Kenya, offering individual, family, and group health insurance plans as well as a variety of other products, such as life insurance and disability insurance.
This insurance is known for its affordability and extensive network of hospitals and clinics.
9. Allianz Insurance
- Year Founded: 1890
- Financial strength and stability
- Wide range of products and services
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Their premiums may be higher than those of some competitors
- May not offer as many plan options as some other providers.
Allianz Insurance is a global insurance company that offers a wide range of products, including health insurance.
It is known for its financial strength and stability, as well as its commitment to customer service. Some of the potential downsides of Allianz Insurance include higher premiums than some other providers and limited availability in some areas.
10. AXA Mansard Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1989
- Various benefits come with this insurance firm
- They have flexible payment options
- Global reach and reputation of the AXA Group.
- They have limited coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Smaller network of providers than some competitors
- Premiums may be higher than those of some other insurers.
AXA Mansard Health Insurance is a division of the AXA Group, one of the largest insurance companies in the world.
The company is known for its innovative products, wide range of benefits, and flexible payment options.
Some of the potential downsides of AXA Mansard Health Insurance include limited coverage for pre-existing conditions and a smaller network of providers than some other insurers.
11. Resolution Insurance
- Year Founded: 2002
- Their health insurance product is very affordable
- Flexible and customizable plans
- Good customer service
- Focus on quality and value for money.
- Limited product range
- It has limited customer support
- May not offer the same level of benefits as some other insurers
- It does not have the same global reach as larger insurers.
Resolution Insurance is a local insurance company based in Kenya that offers health insurance products for individuals, families, and businesses.
The company has a reputation for providing affordable health insurance with a focus on quality and customer service.
12. AIG Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1919
- International presence and global reach
- Financial stability and security
- Wide range of products and services
- High quality of customer service.
- Premiums may be higher than those of some other insurers
- Limited customer service in some areas.
AIG Health Insurance is the health insurance division of AIG, one of the world’s largest insurance companies.
This firm offers a range of health insurance products for individuals, families, and businesses in Kenya.
Some of the key benefits of AIG Health Insurance include its global reach, strong financial stability, and wide range of products and services.
13. GA Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1950
- Their price is very competitive
- They have comprehensive coverage
- international presence and reach
- strong financial strength.
- The brand is not that well-recognized
- Customer service may not be as strong as some competitors
- They may not be the best fit for everyone.
This insurance company offers a range of health insurance products. Its key strengths include its international reach, competitive pricing, and comprehensive coverage.
On the downside, GA Health Insurance may not have the same brand recognition as some other insurers, and its customer service may not be as strong as some of its competitors.
14. VUMI Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 2012
- You can customize the coverage according to your need
- They have a strong focus on customer service
- Comprehensive coverage.
- Their premiums may be higher than those of other insurers
- Less established than some competitors.
VUMI Health Insurance is known for its flexibility and ability to customize policies to meet the needs of its customers.
It also has a strong focus on customer service and satisfaction. However, one of the potential downsides of VUMI Health Insurance is that its policies can be more expensive than those of some other insurers.
15. Sanlam Health Insurance
- Year Founded: 1918
- They have a wide range of products and services
- Strong financial stability.
- Limited brand recognition
- Customer service may not be as strong as some other insurers
- limited coverage options compared to some competitors.
Sanlam Health Insurance is a South African-based health insurance provider that also offers coverage in Kenya.
This insurer has a wide range of products and services, and one of its main advantages is its affordability, with competitive pricing on many of its products.
However, Sanlam Health Insurance may not be as well-known as some other insurers, and its customer service may not be as strong.
FAQs on the Top Medical Insurance in Kenya
What is the cost of medical insurance in Kenya?
The cost of medical insurance in Kenya varies depending on several factors, such as the type of policy, the amount of coverage, the age and health of the individual, etc. Generally, the cost of medical insurance in Kenya ranges from around KES 10,000 to KES 100,000 per year.
What are the different types of medical insurance available in Kenya?
The main types of medical insurance available in Kenya are individual health insurance, group health insurance, travel health insurance, and critical illness insurance.
What are the tax benefits of having medical insurance in Kenya?
There are several tax benefits associated with having medical insurance in Kenya. The most significant benefit is that premiums paid for medical insurance are tax-deductible for both individuals and businesses.
Is it mandatory to have medical insurance in Kenya?
The short answer is that medical insurance is not currently mandatory in Kenya. However, some employers may require their employees to have medical insurance as a condition of employment.
We Also Recommend:
- 10 Benefits of General Insurance
- 15 Different Types of Commercial Property Insurance
- Types of Health Insurance In The USA
- Medical Expenses That Are Tax-Deductible
- Free Medical Insurance for Unemployed (Adults and Children).
There are many different options for medical insurance in Kenya, with varying levels of coverage and cost.
It is important that you carefully consider your needs and budget and choose a plan that meets them.
Whether you are looking for individual, family, or group coverage, there is a medical insurance plan that is right for you.
And with careful research and consideration, you can find the best medical insurance in Kenya for your unique situation.